Kiddie Kollege voluntarily shut down on July 28, 2006 after testing revealed abnormal levels of mercury inside the building. Elevated levels of mercury were found in 20 students and three employees. A lawsuit seeking class action status has been filed on behalf of 90 children who attended the daycare from early 2004 to July 2006. The lawsuit seeks court-monitored medical testing and unspecified punitive damages. The complaint was filed against the current owner of the property, Jim Sullivan Inc., as well as Philip Giuliano, the owner of the building when it operated as Accutherm Inc. a thermometer factory. The company went bankrupt in 1994. The state Department of Environmental Protection ordered Accutherm to clean up the site, but the company never complied. Prolonged exposure to mercury vapor can cause neurological and kidney damage.