Reportedly, more than 24 people have said that their dishwashers have caught fire, posing a significant danger to people and their property.
Lead plaintiff in the defective dishwasher class action, Natalie Bickert, of Kelowna, B.C., alleges she suffered smoke and carbon monoxide poisoning after her dishwasher caught fire last December. Bickert was rushed to hospital and believes she is lucky to be alive. She believes the dishwasher should have been recalled. "I had no idea that my dishwasher was a fire hazard,"she said in a written statement.
Plaintiffs are represented by Rick Mallett of Edmonton-based James H. Brown and Associates. The lawsuit seeks compensation for people whose dishwashers were destroyed and who suffered health problems or damage to their homes, and to force Whirlpool to issue a recall.